Pinot Noir 2011100% Estate Grown Pinot Noir sourced from 19 year old vines. Very low yields to ensure perfect ripeness, handpicked, 80% destemmed, 20% whole bunches, wild yeast ferments and 12 months maturation in French oak barriques and puncheons. An elegant pinot with floral perfume on the nose amongst hints of dried herbs and sous bois (undergrowth characteristics), and a sappy element from the whole bunches. A complex, earthy palate of plums and red berry fruit, with well integrated fine spice tannins and a long finish.
150 cases produced Alc. 13.5% Cellar 2013 -2022 - $45
Viticulture and winemaking notes:
- 19 year old dry grown, multi clone pinot noir vines planted at 3636 vines/ha
- Very low yields (approx 750g/vine or <3 tonne/ha)
- All canopy management undertaken by hand
- Green harvest and leaf removal conducted at bunch closure
- All wings removed from bunches
- Harvested by hand between 13-13.5° Baumè @ <3 tonne/ha
- 80% whole berries, 20% whole bunches added to 0.5 and 1 tonne open fermenters.
- Wild yeast fermentation with temperatures to 30-32°C with plunging twice daily
- After 3 weeks, basket pressed and ran straight to barrel
- 12 months maturation on lees in 25% new French oak barriques and puncheons, with malo in spring
- No fining or filtration prior to bottling